Monday 4 July 2016

The Harry Potter Warner Bros Studio Tour


I'm a Muggle. I've never been into wizards. I zoned out when we took turns to read one of Ursula le Guin's books out loud at school. And... I've never seen a Harry Potter film.

However, this year I went on a trip to the Warner Bros studios near Watford. For anyone who is mistaken in thinking that the Harry Potter franchise is British - the presence of the Warner Bros name across the front of the huge studio buildings will put you right.






This tour is very impressive. No doubt if you are a Harry Potter fan you can immerse yourself further into the experience: you will be aware of what each set and prop is, and how it was used to enhance the narrative of the films.


I appreciated the attention to detail that the set designers, prop makers and costume designers have put into their work. After seeing how the whole enterprise was put together, it is quite evident where the huge budgets of these films have been spent.


I was particularly taken by this animated travelling trunk






Just don't drink the Butterbeer unless you've got a very sweet tooth. And don't forget to take plenty of spending money for the souvenir shop...






No comments:

Post a Comment