Wednesday 15 February 2012

SHELLS! Eccentric Seaside Art

Shell House postcard

I lived in Bournemouth for a while in the early 1990s. On several occasions I went to visit the Shell House in Southbourne. This folly was an incredible collection  of sea shells collected from all over the world by one man, George Howard, and managed to be both amusing and moving in equal measure.

Shell House postcards


Not long before I left Bournemouth I filmed the Shell House; these are some stills from my cine film:





You can view a clip of the movie here:



I was sad to hear years later that the attraction had been demolished, but I'm pleased that I was able to capture it on film and that I can share it today.

You can read more about the Shell House here:

THE SHELL HOUSE 

*******

More recently, I came across the Peter Coke Shell Gallery in Sheringham, North Norfolk. Just like the Shell House, this gallery houses the work of one man, the late actor Peter Coke who was enamoured with the art of 'sailor's valentines' but took it to another level with his miniature gardens, temples and flower posies, all constructed out of shells and coral. 




The gallery is open in the summer months. It is free to enter but there are postcards and shells for sale, or you can make a donation towards its upkeep.



Read more about the Peter Coke Gallery here:

PETER COKE SHELL GALLERY 


(Postcards of the Shell House on this Blog by Dennis, Salmon and J. Hammersley, Boscombe).

No comments:

Post a Comment